Halloween is a wonderful holiday that has been around for many years. It has been celebrated in the U.S. since at least the turn of the century. Most every child loves dressing up in costumes and going trick or treating.
Commercial Halloween costumes have been available since the 1930’s. There are some cute, adorable and scary costumes that both children and adults can wear. The only issue with commercial Halloween costumes is that they tend to be expensive. Those who buy costumes can generally expect to spend between 25 and 50 dollars for a good quality costume, and that may or not include shipping costs. In today’s economy not everyone can afford to spend that kind of money for a costume worn only once.
Fortunately, you can make Halloween costumes at home. These Halloween costumes can be made at home for very little money. One idea for a costume is a DIY witch’s costume that can be made using some black plastic trash bags. It is very simple and quite inexpensive to make.
What you will need 3 basic black plastic garbage bags depending on the size of your child, (You may want large or small ones) scissors and a witch hat.
- The process of making this costume is quite simple. First you will need to cut off the seal end of the garbage bag. You will be making this into a cape by cutting down the seam of the bag.
- Use the second plastic bag and make holes in your bag using your scissors. They should be about 2 inches apart. It is important not to cut down the seam, as this will be the witches skirt.
- Use the third bag to cut a strip that is going to be approximately one to one and a half inches long. This should be one long continuing strip.
- Use the strip and a sharp object such as a needle, paper clip with a sharp end or a push pin to thread the strip through the holes in the bag and around the skirt and the cape. Leave the skirt and cape a bit long at the bottom.
- Once you have done this you can cut some jagged edges at the bottom of the bag skirt and cape. This will look scary and irregular. Tie the cape around your neck in a loose manner using the strip.
- Add your hat and you will have a witches costume! Your little one will be ready for some trick or treat fun. This is all you have to do to make a basic witch costume.
You can customize this outfit a bit depending on the size of your child. You can also add a witches broom, a scary nose or some green makeup depending on how you want your witch to look. These are all cheap at a party store, or Walmart.
You may want to use 6 bags initially because to get the perfect costume may take more than one attempt. There are also alternative ways to make this costume using sewing stitches to sew elastic around the waistband of the skirt and cape, look online for directions.